- DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE IELTS GUIDE
Download your FREE IELTS guide
to studying Overseas
- Click here for your guide
- Protecting Personal Information
- Information that the company holds
- Web site tracking
- Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
- Security of Personal Information
- Right of Access by the Individual
- Privacy Representative
- Personal Information Management Policy Statement
The company is subject to the Privacy Act and the associated National Privacy Principles.
This policy sets out how the company collects, holds and uses personal information collected from individuals in the conduct of our business.
All personal information collected from individuals as a result of our business operations will be protected as an essential part of the relationship we wish to establish with our clients. The company will only disclose this information in accordance with the provisions of the Privacy Act and the National Privacy Principles.
In the normal course of business activities, the company will collect personal information, including sensitive information.
Personal information may include an individual's name, address, date of birth, contact details, occupation, and professional memberships.
Sensitive information includes details of an individual's racial or ethnic origin, religious beliefs, and health information. The company must obtain the consent of the person to collect and use that information.
IELTS partners uses an independent company, (http://www.nielsen-netratings.com/) to measure and analyse its internet usage to ensure the site meets its objectives with advertisers and users. Individual privacy is protected but IELTS partners gains insights on how make the site more useful for advertisers as well as our users.
- The number of page views (or page impressions) that occur on an IELTS site;
- The number of unique visitors;
- How long these unique visitors (on average) spend on an IELTS site; and
- Common entry and exit points to IELTS sites.
If you use Netscape browser, go to the Edit > Preferences > Advanced menu. Change your cookie configuration.
Disabling Microsoft's Internet Explorer depends on which version you use. To check for your version, click Help > About Internet Explorer
In IE 5.0, go Tools > Internet Options > Security. Choose the security level for four different browsing conditions: Internet Sites, Local Sites, "Trusted" Sites, and Restricted Sites. If you select "Internet" and click on Custom Level, a dialog box enables you to either accept all, warn before accepting, or reject all cookies.
With IE 4.0, go View > Internet Options > Advanced menu. Again, as with IE5, you can accept all, warn before accepting, or reject all.
The company will use personal information to:
- provide its services, particularly those associated with student services (eg recruitment, English language testing)
- provide students, institutions and other clients of developments in the services it offers
- manage its internal business operations
The company will only disclose information for the purpose for which it was collected, and where appropriate, after obtaining the necessary consent from the individual. Information may be disclosed for other purposes, with the specific consent of the individual to do so.
The company may also be required to disclose personal information where the law requires such disclosure.
The company will take reasonable steps to ensure the security of personal information that it holds, regardless of the form in which that information is held. This will include taking reasonable steps to prevent the misuse or loss of this information, or unauthorised disclosure, access to, or modification of this information.
Where the information is held in electronic form, access will be controlled by user logins and passwords, and restriction of access only to persons who need to have that access in the course of the company's business activities.
All staff of the company are subject to confidentiality obligations as part of their conditions of employment.
Any individual has the right to request access at any time to the personal information that the company holds about that person. This access will be refused where the company cannot be satisfied as to the identity of the person requesting that access.
Any individual can request the company to modify or correct personal information that the person believes to be incorrect.
The company can refuse to provide access to personal information where the Privacy Act allows it to do so.
IELTS Webmaster: Contact IELTS
IELTS Australia Limited (IELTS) is bound by the National Privacy Principles (NPP's), as set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (as amended).
In general, IELTS partners hold the following types of personal information:
- personal details of individuals who have enquired about study opportunities in Australia, or who have applied to undertake a course of study at an Australian educational institution, or an overseas education institution that has entered into a twinning arrangement with an Australian education institution. As IELTS partners operate in over 30 overseas countries, it is unavoidable that some of this personal information is sensitive information (ie the individual's racial or ethnic origin);
- personal details of individuals who have applied to undertake, or have undertaken, an assessment service provided by, or through, IELTS. In the case of individuals who have completed such assessment, IELTS will also hold the results achieved by the individual;
- personal details of individuals who have formally advised/registered their interest in being engaged as consultants, or individuals who have been, or are currently, engaged as consultants on projects/programs managed by IELTS partners (or IELTS partners in consortium with other organisations);
- personal details about individuals who have registered their names with a service offered by the company (eg the Graduate Recruitment Service)
- personal details about individuals who have registered to participate in an event organised, managed or presented by IELTS partners, whether in its own right, or under contract for another organisation.
In general, IELTS partners use this personal information for the following purposes:
- assisting an individual to avail themselves of the opportunity to undertake studies in an Australian education institution;
- assisting an individual to further their career after completing their studies at an Australian education institution, or an overseas education institution twinned to an Australian education institution
- provide opportunities for individuals to participate in projects/programs as consultants
- effective management of events
IELTS partners have taken reasonable steps to ensure the security and appropriate use of personal information including:
- training its staff in the management of personal information
- developing and implementing appropriate computer system controls
IELTS is a contractor to the Commonwealth and State governments, and contracts out services.
Complaints about possible breaches of privacy should be marked as "Confidential", and addressed to:
IELTS Webmaster: Contact IELTS
Requests for access to personal information should be addressed to the Company Secretary (as set out above).
Where a request is limited to access to an individual's personal information, the company will take all reasonable steps to respond within five (5) working days of the receipt of the request. These steps will include verification of the identity of the individual concerned.
Where the request is in respect of correction of inaccuracies to an individual's personal information, the nature of the inaccuracy must be clearly stated, along with the information required to be entered in lieu of the inaccurate information. The company will take all reasonable steps to respond within five (5) working days of the receipt of the request. These steps will include verification of the identity of the individual concerned.
All requests for access to personal information (for whatever purpose) will be responded to in writing, and will be recorded in a register maintained for this purpose.
Where the individual's identity cannot be verified to the satisfaction of the Company Secretary, the request for access will be denied.
For more information contact:
IELTS Webmaster: Contact IELTS